WELCOME!

Grab some tea or coffee and enjoy reading about my life. If you are a new reader be sure to read my first post here to learn a bit about why I made a blog. I hope you stick around!

Sharon

Monday, November 29, 2010

A rainy, dreary, Monday...Only one thing made it better.

Skittles!!!!!  Rob bought me 3 pounds of them at Wal-Mart!   

My friend Jody says I am spoiled :)  I say YES Ma'am, I am.  I owe him a back rub tonight though :)   I needed it on a day like today!  It has been cold and rainy all day!  We honestly have not had one minute of rainless weather since around 10 this morning!  I needed those little rainbow candies today!  You will learn fast if you follow me that I am a major hater of Monday.  I find myself having trouble concentrating and brushing off the weekend.  All I want to do is relax like I did all weekend!  This has caused an issue on many Mondays, and this one is one of them....

That is not my only issue either.
Since my kids have been home from school,  I have done 3 minutes of the 20 minutes that are due by the time I go to bed tonight and then there are another 28 minutes of reports waiting that are due at noon tomorrow. This, my dear listeners readers, is a problem that faces a lot of us Work at Home moms. Be ready for that.  

Just since 3:30, my 13-year-old needed me to braid her friends' hair, but I had to finish a 23 minute file before 5.  Did I want to braid her friend's hair?  YES!  Could I?  No.  I had to get that file finished and proofread.  So, I let her down and I hate that.  My 10-year-old wanted me to quiz him on his test that he has on Wednesday...Could I?  NO.  I told him to study on his own and that Rob would be home from picking up Allie from Cheer practice and he could quiz him.  I feel as though I push them away so much!  So, now you know, this work at home stuff is not always easy!  I got that file finished, but there are others still waiting for me.  Of course, being thrown off my game with interruptions has caused me to get a bit distracted.  This part of it is MY fault!  I do have issues with focusing sometimes!  I get my work done, but I sometimes procrastinate too much and end up working later than I should have to! 

We get through it all though.  Right now the younger kids are watching last week's Biggest Loser Thanksgiving Special and Rob is working on his end of term Philosophy paper.  Holland is at the school cheering on the Jr. High basketball teams.  I am here typing to you, and then I have to finish up what is due tonight.  We do all that we can to maintain a happy household around here.  I just wish we had more time to be a family sometimes!  

So.  What has the work part of this Monday been like? Not too horrible.  I have a doctor that I call "Dr. Runon-Subject-Jumper" because this doctor is seriously all over the place in the files.  Some days it is really fun and I get to laugh a bit, other days I just feel it is wasting the doctor's time and mine for me to be typing the useless tidbits of facts.  Oh, and remember I said I hate fragments and run-ons?  Yea..he is a big fragment/run-on talker.  I have a lot of fun with him (note sarcasm)!    The only other doctor I have worked on today has been one of my favorites but this doctor likes to put the mic REALLY close to his mouth when he speaks...It makes for some muffled words occasionally, it could be worse though so I will not complain!  

Okay, I know this is a totally random post...but I promised to post every day!  I did, however, want to touch real quick on something I missed yesterday!  

Straight transcription and Voice recognition. These are 2 of the most important terms out there!  

~Straight transcription is what I do.  I type the report from scratch using only a template as a guide (sometimes not even that).  I type what the doctor says, edit as needed for a perfect report (hopefully), it then goes to my QA, and then gets passed from them to the doctor's office.  This type of transcription usually pays about double what VR (voice recognition) does because it is more typing.


~Voice recognition is what more and more of the industry is moving to.  This is where the doctor will speak into his computer or other audio capturing device, and a voice recognition program will put his spoken word in document form.  As a VR transcriptionist it would be your job to edit the voice recognition machine's version of the dictation.  You would get the VR's version of the file, and the audio, and you would listen to the audio while reading the report.  You would verify all medications, tools, materials, and other such things as the voice recognition simply put the words on paper.  It was not smart enough to say "hey, this drug should be capitalized" or "500 mg of Xanax?  That doesn't sound right."  So, basically you are the Voice Recognition's QA.  They type it, you proof it, and you fix all the mistakes it makes.  I have only minimal experience with Voice Recognition so unfortunately any questions about that will have to be passed to my friends!  I will do what I can to answer though!




Okay, I have to get back to work and finish these files so I can have some downtime tonight...I might do a smaller post in the morning if work doesn't come in early.  I want to touch on something that all aspiring MTs hear and fear.  Transcription is a dying profession.  (Cue eerie end of world music here)   In the morning, I will share my personal beliefs on this subject and hopefully put your mind at ease.  I also hope to be visiting you from a much sunnier, and warmer, desk (and hopefully I will be less grouchy too).  


Until tomorrow...


Take some time to "taste the rainbow".  Get the snack food of your choice, indulge, and smile.  You have made it though another day of your life, be thankful :)


Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here is your chance to ask me questions, request topics, or just say Way To Go! :)