WELCOME!

Grab some tea or coffee and enjoy reading about my life. If you are a new reader be sure to read my first post here to learn a bit about why I made a blog. I hope you stick around!

Sharon

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

As technology and compliance rules change...so does the MT

Finally, a morning with a little of a break so I can come here!  I promised to discuss changes in my company and so, here you go.  This will be a good post because it will make the upcoming MT understand that your job can possibly change with the drop of a hat, or the changing of HIPPA rules! 

So, Friday we all get an email, a 5 page email, stating that our WHOLE routine is changing.  No more downloading our files that we think we can finish through the day and working on them throughout the day, no more FTP file transfers, no more holding work to finish the next morning.  We are now moving to a platform in which we log on and a file will come in, we finish that one, another file will come in....one at a time.  If we do not finish in a timely manner, the file will be returned and we will lose all work we did thus far...Ouch! Harsh!  But...for MTs like me, the easily distracted, this is a great thing.  This is going to force me to sit in my chair and work.  No more checking Facebook "just for a second" (a.k.a an hour).  This is a good change for me, but scary at the same time.

For instance, right now, I know I can do 2 hours of dictation a day easily, so I would download enough files to keep me busy all day and I am guaranteed my workload for the day.  This can't happen anymore.  If I am not as fast as the other MTs in my pool, then they will get more work than me because of their speed.  I guess I am worried that my income is going to take a hit.  For example, I have Dr. Runon, who dictates 40 minutes at a time.  These files take a long time to do, more than the 3:1 ratio (3 minutes to type 1 minute of dictation) because in that 40 min file I don't know how many actual patients there are so I have to listen through once setting up my templates, then again to fill in the body of the report and the patient information.  So, if I get Dr. Runon then I am put behind for the day because that file takes so long. 

But, it is not all bad!

We no longer have to type job numbers, name files, or copy and paste templates!  It is all going to be done automatically!  If I am understanding correctly, we will no longer have the need for a separate folder on our computers with all of our sample reports, templates, patient lists, etc.  We will also no longer be doing our own billing...WOOHOOO... I am excited about this!

In fact we are not allowed to store these items anymore...This is where HIPPA compliance comes into play. 

What if my computer got stolen and all my patient/doctor information got stolen?  I am in trouble!  Even though all of that is password protected on my computer, passwords don't always hold tight.  As an MT you are bound to the HIPPA patient confidentiality regulations just as a doctor or nurse or other in office medical field employee would be.  You can be sued and you can lose a lot of money and credibility.

This is one of those things that have always scared me!

I heard of a fellow CS grad who was fired for  cc:-ing a medical report to the wrong doctor.  This was a breach of that company's patient confidentiality policy and she lost her job.  Compliance is a serious issue! 

So, I for one am excited and relieved that I will no longer be storing this information on my computer!

All in all, these changes are going to be great.  It is a needed change because doctors are no longer impressed with our "24-hour turn-around time".  Doctors and hospitals are busy and they want fast results, therefore we will now be turning around work a lot faster so that we can compete with all the big companies with the 1-hour turn-around times. 

So basically, the point of this rant/vent is this.  If you are like me and have issues with change, you have to be ready to accept it when it comes!  In the medical field (and yes, as an MT you ARE part of the medical field) you have to take change as it comes, and as technology changes so do we. 

So, no longer will a report sit and wait for me while I go help a child with homework or take the dog outside.  I have to sit and finish a file from beginning to end or risk that file being returned.  Again, this is good because I have always had an issue sitting and working like I need to. 

As I understand it, this big change happens next week, we will all begin training.  Guess who gets to go through this change with me?  YOU! :)  I will try to post as the change happens so that you can all get a first hand view of how it affects work in general. 

I am excited about it.  Scared, nervous, worried, but excited. :)

Sharon

7 comments:

  1. So...since this is HIPPA related, I assume that all companies will implement similar measures. If you are not able to store reports, will you still have access to them to help if needed?

    Like you, I think this might turn out to be a good thing because I seem to always have something else (other than typing reports) that needs done. Structure would only help me...

    Thanks for keeping us posted.

    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure. I just know that this email focused on COMPLIANCE and then went into the dangers of us storing such information on our computers. I think that just storing it is not against HIPPA's rule, but they would rather us not because of the risk of that information getting out? I am not sure.

    I have been assured we will still have access to samples and such but I am just not sure how.

    From that email, it is my belief that most companies will start going to this system, if not for the HIPPA and compliance issues, then for the fact that it makes the company more able to compete with the growing world of medical transcription. Twelve-her turnaround just is not that big of a deal anymore.

    So, I am thinking that this change is more for the technological advances and less for HIPPA issues, but it is scary to think of all the stuff stored on our computers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is more than one way to be HIPPA compliant, so not all companies will do it exactly like this. My company has a server system, so I sign into their computer using Remote Desktop and work from there. I type and save documents directly onto their secure server, and I work under my own username and have my own desktop there, if that makes sense, so that I can save any files and reports that I want; it's just not saved on my personal computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No more holding my favorite doc's work! :(

    It's all good though!

    Gamecock

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand the need for the change in storing files on a computer at home. I even like the ability Anonymous commented about signing onto a company server using a remote desktop. What I don't understand is how you'll deal with Dr. Runon. If you get a 40 minute dictation, how are you supposed to be able to complete the whole thing without it getting yanked for taking too long? Wouldn't multiple patient dictations in one file become harder to manage? A 3:1 ratio on these kinds of files seems like an impossible task. That's 2 hours straight on 1 file, without even taking into consideration the setup required, which would up that file completion time considerably.

    I've heard of even longer files with multiple patient reports.

    I wonder how they handle compliance for people who aren't working for a company but for themselves with individual doctors or clinics for their clients.

    Definitely let us know how this works or what kind of tinkering they need in order to make it work.

    As usual, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gamecockfan....I know...I was distraught about this part too!!! I can't hold Dr. T anymore and work on her later in the night :(


    Renae, I am not sure how they handle the compliance for the individuals! I have actually thought about trying to get a few of my own doctors from my area in the new year, this will be an interesting thing to find out!

    As far as Dr. Runon, I am hoping they allow enough time for him, I CAN do the 3:1 ratio but it is hard because he has been known to put out an almost 2 hour file, I cannot sit here for SIX hours doing a file without getting up and moving around. So yea, I am interested to see how they handle this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog from a link from Career step. I'm hoping on finishing up in the next few months, so I'm intereseted in seeing how this HIPAA compliance stuff works out.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Here is your chance to ask me questions, request topics, or just say Way To Go! :)